SQL server monitor is an electronic tool that seeks to monitor a server’s system resources like CPU Usage, Memory Consumption, I/O, Network, Disk Usage, Process etc
Due to the fact that electronic businesses rely on information stored on databases, it is very important and vital for them to constantly access and monitor the database performance information in real time and at all time. This makes it very important for system administrators to know the status of their databases.
A reliable SQL Server monitoring solution offers the following advantages to the business:
- Increased profits, no losses caused by undetected database failures.
- Improved customer satisfaction by providing reliable access to databases.
A good solution to SQL server monitor should be easy to install and user friendly. It should also have additional features such as remote management (via web browser, PocketPC or Windows client) and notifications on SQL Server errors via email, ICQ and pager/SMS. This is to make monitoring of SQL servers easier.
A good SQL server monitor should also ensure the availability of network components and databases while also measuring traffic and usage. In this way it will be able to save cost by avoiding outages, ensuring database performance, optimizing connections, saving time and controlling service level agreements.
An SQL server monitor should offer individual sensors that allow you to connect and monitor MySQL, Microsoft SQL and Oracle SQL servers, that is, it should be compatible with other SQL servers. These SQL server sensors can monitor when the database accepts and processes requests. It also makes it possible to use custom query code to check database return values.
Slow performance and outages can impact the bottom line of your business. By continuously using server monitors you are able to find problems and resolve them before they escalate. An SQL server monitor is for monitoring availability, bandwidth and server performance. Server monitoring tools calculate bandwidth consumption via SNMP, Packet sniffing and NetFlow and also track the availability of network servers and check parameters such as CPU load, memory load and free disk space.
This way SQL server monitor helps you to:
- Raise profits by minimizing downtime.
- Offer better quality services.
- Avoid performance bottlenecks and data loss.
- Lower costs by buying hardware and bandwidth according to actual need.
In order to make server performance monitoring much easier, it is wise to include among other a VMware monitoring tool and an ESX server monitor and also to come with a range of built in server monitoring sensors such as the following:
- Virtual server sensors make performance monitoring of your virtual machines easier
- Email round tip sensors ensure the end to end delivery of emails and make it possible to monitor availability and performance of a complete email delivery process.
- Advanced PING sensors make and excellent uptime monitor
- File server sensors check free disk space, existence of files and changes to files etc.
- Standard mail sensors check the availability of your email services.
- MySQL, Microsoft SQL, and Oracle SQL sensors. These sensors check whether your SQL server accepts connections, processes requests and return an expected result when executing a custom SQL command.