Certified information Systems Security Professional is a n information security certification developed by the International Information Systems and Security Certification Consortium (ISC)2 There is a growing need for information security leaders who possess the breadth and depth of expertise necessary to establish holistic security programs that assure the protection of organizations’ information assets. Hence CISSP has become a prerequisite for anyone developing a senior career in information security.
How do you qualify to be a CISSP Member?
CISSP was developed and is maintained by the (ISC)2. However at its heart is an information security common body of knowledge (CBK) which has eight domains. For you to become part of this team, you must meet the following requirements.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in at least two or more of the 8 CBK domains.
- Studied for and passed the CISSP exams, complete the endorsement process and subscribed to the (ISC)2 code of ethics.
- Maintain certification through continuing professional education credits.
What is the importance of CISSP certification?
- Validates your proven competence gained through years of experience in information security, thus increasing your credibility when working with your clients and vendors.
- Recognition by the related industry. Certification will give you wide recognition all over and earn respect from the large companies out there. So as to identify with your the necessary knowledge on the subject matter, certification will make it faster and dependable.
- To separate high performers from low performers. Despite the six hours of 250 questions exam, plus a five year experience in at least two of the main domains of CBK, certification makes you stand out from the crowd. It depicts you as among the top qualified persons.
- Certification guarantees you potential increase in earning. You are guaranteed of a higher payment with recognition and use of your improved skills set.
- You are able to gain access to valuable career resources such as networking and idea exchange with people in the corporate world. With such exposure you are able to demonstrate technical knowledge, skills and abilities to effectively develop a holistic security program set against globally accepted standards.
- The certification affirms your commitment to the field and ongoing relevancy though continued professional education conducted by attending conferences, seminars, taking extra classes and fieldwork. This helps in understanding the most current best practices in the market.
Note that the certification must be renewed every 3 years for it to remain relevant. Remember to always keep it updated.